The power of "NOT"

Nov 25, 2016

The drip, drip, drip, drip, drip of a relentless stream of water from the sky has worn a blister in the pit of my stomach, like the rub of a not-quite-right shoe in the same place. Isn't it funny how something so small can make such a big commotion? Especially with persistence, a tiny bead of water falling in repeated succession will eventually create such an overflow that big things can be shifted,  altered, expanded beyond the normal boundaries.

It has been raining constantly in the D.R. now longer than Noah was on the ark. Rivers have risen and expanded larger than the marshmallows on top of the sweet potato casserole. Bridges are busted up, roads are more reminiscent of the surface of the moon, dams are spilling over. Drip, drip, drip.  Everything is saturated, rats and tarantulas and other creatures are seeking higher ground like the rest of us, mold grows on the walls, the dishes, the clothes. I am NOT complaining. These are just realities that come from living in  humid, constantly moist and overly saturated conditions. We are beyond overflowing up in here with more rain on the way.

But the overflowing is not limited to the catastrophic type of flooding this country is dealing with right now. In my heart, there is an overflowing of gratitude for the promises of God, for this special place that He has allowed us to live in, learn from and walk alongside others in, for the ways my eyes have been opened to how He works in uncomfortable ruts and grooves created by that same rubbing that sometimes makes me feel a little sick but also a lot grateful! My heart is full because of the way the Lord has revealed more of His character through the amazing people in this country. I'm not talking about perfection, but authenticity.  Like anywhere that humans are living, there is as much wrong as there is right, yet I see God in greater depth because of what I have experienced in this place. And eventually, He will make all things right. Thank you, God.

As I sit at my computer with the birds shaking out their soggy wings, the roosters calling out and a tiny bit of sun peaking through the clouds, yet knowing more rain is coming (unless God seals up the sky - which He can do should He choose!), I am reminded of the power of the "not."

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel,
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are Mine!
“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they will not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched,
Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:1 - 2



I am His. He has paid my debt and washed me white as snow. I will pass through the waters - not if but when. I will walk through the fire - not if but when. However, because of the power of "not" I will neither be drowned nor scorched! I am thankful that He is with us in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your thoughts! Thanks for taking the time to comment!