Said the drummer to the guitar player

Feb 28, 2014

I was in the kitchen wiping crumbs off the counter as families were preparing to part ways after a day long celebration, when from the living room I overheard a most beautiful and profound truth being shared by a not quite 16 year old to his adoring 12 year old cousin.  Both of these young men have mad musical talent.  The discussion was about joining the worship team sometimes to play in "big church," but the guitar player was confiding in the drummer that he was a little nervous to play in front of the whole church. And then, the gold nugget of truth was poured out:

Tapping on his chest (because he's always drumming),

"Ya know, when you're up on stage in big church, the lights are so bright that you can't really make out the people in the audience," drummer casually offered to guitar player.  Satisfied with this theory, guitar player let a slow grin creep onto his face.

It was a short little conversation, but I was blown away by the wisdom in this statement.  Crumbs in hand, I was stopped in my tracks, considering how much I related to the guitar player, knowing my own fear-of-man tendencies and how when I walk in them they keep me tucked out of site, unexposed, safe.  BUT, Jesus is the bright light that I should be focused on, and when I am, I am not checking for approval in the face of human beings.  His face is the one that I should look for in a crowd, and when I'm locked into His expression, nothing else matters.  His heart should be what guides me.  His praise, and only His, should be that which I seek.  Sometimes I need a drummer to remind me of that . . . .

So . . . here I remain camped out - or running circles around - a verse that has been spurring me on and coming alive in big and small ways lately, Hebrews 12: 1-3:  

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run(A) with perseverance(B) the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus,(C) the pioneer(D) and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross,(E) scorning its shame,(F)and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.


And so I ask you, what is the difference between an audience and a cloud of witnesses?  An audience implies a performance is happening, but a cloud of witnesses implies that others can testify to the power of the Lord in the midst of great weakness.  In both cases, people are watching - and they always will be - but the real beauty of "the show" is when we truly open ourselves up in such a way that those watching point back to Jesus.  

What are you fixing your eyes on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your thoughts! Thanks for taking the time to comment!