From the battlefield and under His wings . . .

Oct 16, 2012

There is much too say and little time to say it.  A battle ensues from where we sit.  My musings about our vacation are on hold for a moment (though I desperately want to revisit them and do plan on doing so as soon as the dust settles here.  Sorry - Dallas family - I don't mean to give you the blog shaft!) 

Even now, a greater story of the Lord's craftsmanship is unfolding which I am anxious to share with you as I am able.  It is beautiful because it is one that He has written, but it will come later as the fullness of it is still being discovered.  But for now . . . 

Allow me to set the stage, dim the lights and draw the curtains.

The enemy wants to defeat us . . . . 

He wants us to feel discouraged, hopeless, useless, distracted, unsatisfied, rejected and isolated . . . 

In the past few months, He's attacked our character, finances, organization and ministry, friends, family and the biggest attack has been on our minds.

He is slick and sneaky, but also limited (check out Luke 22:31 which is an example of how Satan has to ask the Lord's permission to do what he does) and defeated (Revelation 20: 7-10)!

BUT ENOUGH about him . . . 

I'd rather focus my attention on the author and perfecter of my faith, my B.I.G. daddy, my counselor, my healer, my friend, the judge of the intentions of my heart, my refuge and my shield, my Lord and SAVIOR!  

It's HIS blood that covers me, His love that envelops me, HIS grace that immerses me, His power that moves me - only HE is worthy of my attention, adoration and praise!  

He has equipped me for the battlefield.

A family member recently sent me a note of encouragement that reminded me of how the battlefield is the place where our characters are refined, our faith is firmed up and our walk with the Lord is shown for what it is.

"Rachel, any military leader will tell you that a soldier is forged only when he is on the battlefield.
That is true with our spiritual walk also in that we are forged when going through hardships and heartache.  It is our training ground.  I know I need more training and it will come in the form of trials, but it will allow God to work in my personal circumstances and give me the kind of freedom the world can never take away!"

I am so grateful for words of encouragement like this as well as the instructions for battle given to us in God's word.

In the past week, I had complete strangers but brothers and sisters in Christ pray over me while I strap on my armor for battle.  I was reminded that fire is a tool for baptism (Matthew 3:7) used to burn up the useless parts, and that I am also armed with the Holy Spirit who is my helper.  It's not one or the other, but both that we are baptized with.  

I frequently visit Ephesians 6: 10-20 about the armor of God.  He does not leave us vulnerable in the battle.  The psalm that I have been dwelling on for the last 6 months is Psalm 91 . . .  what a beautiful picture.


"He who dwells in the shelter of the MOST HIGH will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."  Surely He will save you from the fowler's snare and from deadly pestilence.  He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and your rampart.  You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday."  Psalm 91:1-6


So really, the view from the battlefield looks a lot like the underside of ginormous, unmeasurably powerful and magnificent feathery wonderfulness of the wings of my heavenly Father.  I am content to dwell in His shadow and praise His name!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your thoughts! Thanks for taking the time to comment!